Sunday 9 December 2012

Top five christmas films

Due to the fact christmas is looming on the horizon and me and Sara put up our tree today I feel inspired to write my top five christmas films. Most of these will be on most peoples lists but there may be some surprises there. Here goes....

1) Elf
We all know that in recent times Will Ferrel has brought out a torrent of films in which he plays the same character, Ron Burgundy, don't get me wrong I love the moustacheoed one but it does wear a bit thin. Brilliantly however in this he is a sweet, innocent character who skips through life with a massive syrup induced smile on his face. I saw this initially with a group of my mates and none of us expected too much but from the outset, 'Bye, Bye Buddy', we all loved it. Since then it has become a firm favourite in my house and I have even turned Sara on to it. One last thing to say 'SAAAAANTA!............I know him'.

2) The Nightmare Before Christmas
This is Tim Burtons finest film, period. I do like Tim but he often has a habit of just putting a weird costume on Helena Bonham whatsherface and The Depper and throwing them into a room together. In this he follows the story of Jack the Pumpkin King who rules all of halloween. The animation is brilliant and the character and world design is outstanding. The songs are written well and sung amazingly and add to the story without ever making you feel like they are out of place. Just to let you know this film is slightly creepy and not your usual christmas film, it is not for children. Saying this Sara did mention that she thought all the characters were cute when she was younger but to be honest she is a little mental. Brilliant.

3) Die Hard
Ok so yes this has already been in one of my top fives and yes it isn't your typical christmas film but it is undeniable brilliant. Bruce Willis is ace as the borderline alcoholic cop and Alan Rickman is the single greatest german bad guy ever, take that Hitler. It may not be about christmas itself but there is a nice message behind the action and it is set around christmas, besides its my list so I don't care.

4) It's a Wonderful Life
I love James Stewart. He is the star of two of my top films ever (may be a list I do) and this is one of them. I almost feel ashamed to say I hadn't seen this film until a couple of years ago. Those who know me may be surprised that I love this so, those who don't it's because in general I am miserable as sin, truly miserable. This however made me smile all the way through and made me feel all snuggly inside........in a manly way of course. Jimmy S is amazing in the central role and you feel every single emotion that he does throughout the entire film. If you haven't seen this film then get a bleeding move on..........go on..............i'll wait.............must go shopping tomorrow..............see I told you, awesome isn't it.

5) The Muppets Christmas Carol
Firstly can I just say this is in the list for one main reason, Sara would kill me in my sleep if it wasn't. Everybody knows this classic Dickens story and there are bucket loads of adaptations to choose from, special mention to Scrooged with Bill Murray which missed this list by the hairs on its chinny chin chin, but whoever decided to Muppetise this story is a freakin genius, fact. Not only did they add in Kermit and his pals to the story but they cast Sir Michael of Caine to play Scrooge but to do it in the most serious of ways even with all the puppet madness going on around him. Then they chose to make it a musical with some wonderful songs that mesh seemlessly into the story. To top it off there is the addition of gonzo and rizzo as narrators who provide bags of comedy and bring the life out of the story in big, fat christmas sack fulls. Yeh alright I love it too, but for the love of god don't tell Sara.

There you have it. Please post opinions and shizzle on here, on my facebook or feel free to tweet me @poshbob.
Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment