Sunday 30 December 2012

Film review: Ice Age 4

A latino Sloth with a lisp, an Italian descent New York mammoth and an all american, or maybe canadian, sabre toothed tiger get together to go on another crazy adventure. Also involved are two african american mammoths, an african american aged sloth and two slacker american possums. These two groups get seperated. The latter, minus the sloth, walk about a bit whilst the former, with the aged sloth in tow, get into some bother with some pirates. These pirates consist of a sort of english ape, a latino cat and some other peripheral ethnic minority animals I cannot be bothered to list. Some sort of adventure happens and I lose faith in childrens cinema.

I am a fan of the Ice Age films, well the first two anyway, the third was just weird. This one however is a film too far. It seems as though they don't really have any good new ideas for the film series. The main piece of evidence for this is the pirate theme. Why are there pirates? I mean seriously why? It just doesn't make any sense. The 'boats' are basically just icebergs with bits of tree on them that act as masts, cannons and in one instance steering. Honestly how do you steer an iceberg. I know it's a film and things don't need to make sense but the entertainment factor is just not there to justify the sillyness. The original three characters still work well and have some very funny moments. The new characters however are just annoying, especially the grandmother sloth 'granny'. Jesus Christ she is annoying and made me want to clean out my ears with a brillo pad every time she said anything. I have since watched this film again, not through choice there were some child nieces involved, and I must admit I enjoyed it more the second time. The reason for this however is that I expected it to be rubbish so instead of disappointment and dislike there was just dislike.

Verdict: 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment