Wednesday 19 December 2012

Film review: Sherlock Holmes Game Of Shadows

Robert Downey Jr dons his Olde Time clothing and puts all those hours studying the Queen's english into a frightfully posh accent in order to run around showing Jude Law how brilliant he is. Noomi Rapace turns up and does some Gypsy readings before joining in the running around with Bob and Jude. The three of them run around a lot after some professor guy (sorry don't know the actor and don't care enough to look it up) and Bob stops occasionally to run through a monologue that shows us just how clever he can be. He then meets the professor and they both discuss the merits of each of their intelligence and do indeed come to a conclusion as to who has the superior intellect. O yeh and Stephen Fry pops up who as we all know is also very intelligent. I feel stupid.

Before I start ranting can I just say that I did not dislike this film. Right now thats over I can start. My big problem with the film is the whole I am more intelligent than you mechanic, which is really tiring after a while. I like Sherlock Holmes and the fact he is a brilliant detective but I don't need it rammed down my throat constantly. This is epitomised by the fighting that occurs. The slowed down fight scenes work really well visually and look great played slow and then sped up second time round but it is verging on giving Mr Holmes psychic powers. This is really evident when he and the bad guy have a fight in which they don't actually fight they just intellectually plan their fight and decide through probability who will be the winner. All I could think through it was for god's sake stop faffing around and someone hit someone else in the face, I get it you are both really intelligent but I could do with either of you getting a slap. They also seem to have lost the fact that Holmes is a bit unhinged and partial to tasting fruits he shouldn't be tasting. They used this a little bit in the first film and I liked it but the second feels a little tamer. Saying all that the film is perfectly fine as entertainment. Robert is a good actor and plays the role well and all the support are pretty good aswell, shame they couldn't elevate it above passable.

Verdict: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment