Friday 8 March 2013

Film review: The Lorax

A kid who lives in the odd world of Dr Seuss wants to impress a girl by getting her a tree. Trees happen to be pretty scarce in the Doc's world and the kid goes off on a little jolly to find one. Here he meets a guy who may or may not be a serial killer who turns out was the guy who cut all the trees down. He then tells a story of how he meets some bears, singing fish and some furry trees. He uses these trees to create what may or may not be a snood. Then Danny DeVito turns up with an orange tache and annoys everybody immensely. Overall we all learn some sort of environmental lesson which may or may not be do not buy air out of a bottle from a small man with bad hair.

I watched this film with Sara, whom you must know by now, and my friend Elliott. Both of them fell asleep roughly halfway through and did not wake until the film had finished. The reason I tell you this is because it doesn't actually have any bearing on how good the film is but does set up nicely for an assessment to where the film has flaws. About halfway through the film does lose its way a little bit, not in story but in entertainment. I found myself getting slightly bored, admittedly this may be because my company for the morning had decided unconsciousness was more favourable to spending time with me but hey ho cant win em all. The film itself as a whole is not bad at all. Danny is surprisingly good as the Lorax itself and the film is peppered with little jokes that do keep you entertained. The environmental message does get a little 'inconvenient truth' on us but thankfully the producers do steer well clear of Mr Gore himself. I am not saying I don't believe in saving the environment, I am as big a fan of Captain Planet as the next guy so much so I may once have considered myself a Planeteer, but I don't want it shoved down my throat by a short orange bloke. Forgetting that though I did enjoy it more than I was expecting.

Verdict: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment