Thursday 16 May 2013

Film review: Star Trek Into Darkness

Captain Chris Pine straps on his phaser and takes the helm of the starship enterprise for a new stab at space travel. He and Zachary Quinto seem to be bff's now and have a wonderful romp around observing things, fixing things and generally sticking their honkers into other peoples business. That is until Chris gets a right telling off from his surrogate dad and Benedict Cumberbatch rocks up in order to ruin everyones day. They all then run, jump and space travel around a bit trying to catch one another and many large objects get written off. The big question really is is everything all it seems and for that children you will have to go yourselves, you lazy sods.

The first of the rebirth Star Trek films was nothing short of brilliant. The casting was perfect, the story well thought out and retained the feel of the original series whilst setting up a completely new version of events. It was one of the greatest surprises and films of its year and I bloody loved it. Due to this my excitement could not have been higher for the second installment, so much so I may have let loose a rather feminine squeal. Adding in Benedict was another stroke of genius as not only is he a great actor but he is one of the weirdest and most unique looking people on screen and that is by no way meant as an insult. On top of this JJ Abrams, whilst becoming a little tedious with his televisual efforts (revolution, lost, alcatraz), is still churning out outstanding films (super 8, involvement with cloverfield, star trek). Its a shame then that I was ever so slightly disappointed once leaving the cinema. Don't get me wrong it is a great film but the expectation was just too high to ever really meet, and yes I realise that that is my problem and not the films. A good example of this happening before is Prometheus, although that film was actually rubbish. For me there was not enough of Benedict who is brilliant as the villain of the piece and there was a little too much overacting. Again the overacting is very minimal but I expect there to be none in a film like this. Maybe I have seen too many films and maybe I am being a little critical, who knows. Just to be clear I did like this film very much and I would urge anyone to go and see it because you will not see much better but it just wasn't quite up there with the first one.

Verdict: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment