Wednesday 22 May 2013

Film review: One Day

Anne Hathaway is a student from tup north who goes to uni with some really handsome dreamboat of a guy. They start their relationship on the 15th July and keep revisiting this date a few years jump at a time. During these jumps Anne likes the guy who meets someone else but then breaks up with them and starts liking Anne by which time she is with Rafe Spall. Also on these dates it turns out handsome guy is a prick and Anne is a bit of a wet lettuce. We then dip in and out of these snippets of their lives and get to see how relationships develop both good and bad and also how Anne Hathaways accent develops both good and bad.

This film is based on the book of the same name which I have been informed is actually very good, I can't actually remember who told me that the book was good so the source may not be reliable but lets go with it. I am not much of a reader as Sara will inform you it can take me up to and including a year to finish one book, and not even a big one, so I decided to watch the film instead. What a mistake I made. Firstly I would like to say I like Anne Hathaway, this has no bearing on the film but I felt the need to say it before putting the gloves on. Her accent is confusing at best. Half the time she is speaking in a reasonable northern accent and the other half she sounds like she would fit in in Pride and Prejudice, "One would rather like to go t' shop by 'eck" and such other monstrosities. The next problem is the male lead who is beyond irritating, admittedly this is on purpose some of the time but he is unable to switch it off even when he is meant to be charming. I spent most of the film wanting to cut his tongue and staple it over his eyebrows just so I didn't have to listen to him or see his uneven eyebrow 'look at me I am so handsome' smile. The only person I actually felt for in this was Rafe Spall who is great and gets stomped all over by Queen Anne of Yorkshire and her slimy pal. The mechanic of the same day being visited across time actually works reasonably well but the story just isn't interesting. Overall I did not care for it.

Verdict: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment