Tuesday 26 February 2013

Film Review: The Five Year Engagement

Jason Segal is a chef who shacks up with Emily Blunt who is a psychologist. They decide after a year of dating to get engaged, yay for them! Then things such as work and life get in the way and they put it off, then more stuff happens and they put it off again, then a welsh bloke comes along and offers Emily a job so they put it off again, you get the gist. During all this crap they have many discussions about the merits of their relationship and whether or not all the nonsense is worth it. Whilst this goes on a lot of support characters attempt to say funny things and keep us, the audience, entertained.

I did not have high hopes as this dvd was carried nicely by the plastic sticky out thing into my dvd player. The annoying adverts they have decided to cram openings on dvds with did not put me in the mood for this 'RomCom' and even the title menu itself with all its happy 'look we are gonna be really funny I swear it' snippets did nothing for me. What a surprise then that I actually enjoyed this film and not just a little bit either. The characters work really well and are acted well by all concerned. Jason Segal is becoming a really watchable actor, despite that hateful 'How I met your mother' crap, and doesn't disappoint in this. Emily Blunt is always good and ever so slightly easy on the eyes and its nice to see her letting her hair down and having a bit of fun on screen. The support characters do add extra life to the story and provide many a comical moment, yes some of them are complete set ups that make no sense but none the less I found the film charming. Admittedly I had literally just removed the disc for Take This Waltz (see previous review for my view on that horrible mess) so my threshold for crap may have been at an all time low but I did enjoy this film. Pretty good stuff.

Verdict: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment