Monday 4 February 2013

Film review: Brave

A scottish girl who I am not convinced isn't played by Lorraine Kelly has the reddest hair in the land and does not get on with her mother. Billy Connelly is her dad and has a fondness for getting into rucks with very large bears. Due to, lets call her Lorraine's, fractured relationship with her mother she runs off into the woods after some little blue fairy things. At the end of this trail is an old lady who loves mixing things in her cauldren and Lorraine decides she has a trustworthy face and buys a potion from her. She gives this potion to her mum who turns into a big furry fish lover. Comedy and bonding then ensue and we all learn lessons on how to have a relationship with our mother........if we are a ginger scottish teenage girl.

Every time I hear the news that a new Pixar film is out my heart goes all a flutter. Pixar are one of the best film making companies out there and do not make rubbish films, period, other than cars 2. They are always packed full of wonderfully charming characters and storylines and make people of all ages laugh and cry without patronising anyone. You can probably tell then that I was rather excited about seeing this new film from the animation giants. I would love to tell you that this film lives up to the Pixar name but unfortunately it just doesn't. That isn't to say however that it is a bad film but Pixar have a certain level of expectation about their films to which this does not live up to. The first half of the film is a little bit dull and ploddy and takes a hell of a long time to get into any of the comedy. I am not saying that I want Pixar films to be a laugh riot as they are much more than just that but I do expect some level of wit to be present. Also I find being neither a mother or a daughter I find it difficult to relate to the teenage angsty teenage girl story arc and find both of them a little annoying. Thank god then that they decide to turn the mother into a bear and with that comes not only a few very good laughs but a heart to the story. Before anybody starts moaning I do realise that the whole set up of the mother daughter thing leads to the heart in the second half but for me I felt it wasn't done as well as it could have been. I did enjoy this film but ultimately it is a bit forgettable and for Pixar that is almost punishable by death.

Verdict: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment