Sunday 22 February 2015

Just Friends

Ryan Reynolds is a fat, spotty teenager and is bezzies with super hot Amy Smart. Ryan loves her and tries to tell her but she plays the 'love you like a brother' crapola and rejects him. Ryan then grows up, loses the weight and becomes the sexiest man alive and proceeds to sleep with lots of women. He tells all other men he hangs with how to get women and treat them, easy for you to say Ryan with your washboard abs and your well ironed shirts. He works for a record company and his boss needs him to shmooze with the borderline psychopathic Anna Faris. For some odd reason they end up back in his home town and Amy is just as hot as she used to be. Ryan then tries to convince her that he is now hot and well worth playing hide the purple parsnip with.

I didn't know much about this film before starting to watch other than Ryan Reynolds was in it. I must admit that I like Ryan Reynolds and find him quite a charismatic screen presence, I'm not as big a fan as my friend Danny who is actually in love with him but I like him none the less. The tone of the film is set pretty much straight away with Ryan donning a fat suit and retainer to become his younger, geekier self. To say this is a stupid, silly comedy is an understatement but frankly I quite like that. It is unashamed of what it is and doesn't take itself too seriously. Ryan is his usual charismatic self in the lead and is backed up admirably by Amy and Anna. Is it groundbreaking? No. Do any of the actors stray even slightly out of their comfort zones? No they do not. Would I be lying if I said I didn't enjoy myself? Yes, yes I would. I laughed quite a bit throughout the film and found myself forgiving its flaws and just allowed myself to have fun.

Now I'm not saying for one moment that it is a great film, the moral backbone alone brings it down a peg or two, but it is decent enough to keep you entertained. Better than it should be.

Verdict: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment