Monday 5 May 2014

Sanctum


Ioan Gruffudd has loadsa money and decides he wants to spend this money going into some caves and having a swim about. He hires Richard Roxborough (yeah I wasnt sure who he was) and his son, Rhys Wakefield (yeah not sure on him either), who are mega awesome cavey people. They decide to go down this cave that noone has been down before and take along Ioans girlfriend who is nothing short of dead weight. Whilst caving things start to go a bit tits up and most of it is Ioans fault, more money than sense springs to mind. Eventually, and predictably, people start to cark it in increasingly stupid ways until maybe some of them survive, maybe some dont, who cares.

I will start this by saying I just happened to come across this film late one night on film4 or channel 5 or some such and thought it would be a good idea to continue watching it. My first warning sign should have been the hiring of Ioan Gruffudd. Now I am not having a go at the guy, my mum for one was a big fan of his Hornblower days, but he is not the greatest actor in the world. He can only really do one character which is nice guy but bland and in this he cannot break out of that stereotype, the problem being that this is not the character he is being asked to play. He is meant to be a bit of a reckless thrillseeker with a slight dickhead complex and he just keeps reeling back to nice. The rest of the cast are pretty mediocre with noone really showing any acting skills beyond the mundane. The story itself is interesting enough, and apparantly true, and should plod along nicely but it turns out to be boring and extremely predictable, halfway through Sara stood up, told me the order they would die and who would survive and proceeded to go to bed early and annoyingly for me and the I told you so I received, she was bang on. It is standard fare and poorly done standard fare at that. Rubbish.

Verdict: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment