Sunday 20 April 2014

12 Years a Slave



Chiwetel Ejiofor is a well respected gentleman in America in 18something or other. He plays the violin and has kids and stuff until he meets a couple of white folk who seem nice at first but then sort of kidnap him and sell him into slavery in the south. His first owner is Benedict Cumberbatch who is also sort of nice until you remember that HE HAS SLAVES! Benedict then needs to sell him for a reason, I forget what, to Michael Fassbender who is not so nice. Michael then continues to paint a wonderful picture of Southern White Americans of that time and Chiwetel tries his darndest to convince people he is himself and not a slave. Can he make it out or does he remain lost in the vile world he finds himself in?

This is not an easy film to watch and does not hollywoodise (probably a word) the subject matter one bit. The story is adapted from a book written by the main character who actually lived the almost unbelievable life portrayed excellently by Chiwetel. Everything that the poor man, and no doubt countless others, had to endure is difficult to watch and is a cruel reminder of how we as a species can treat one another. The standard of acting is amazing with all parties knocking it out of the park. Particular attention should be focused on Fassbender who plays a completely unhinged bastard and is one of the vilest people you could imagine. Unfortunately for me this is not the perfect film most people and critics have said it is. One part of this may be the Oscar hype with the aforementioned critics universally agreeing that this is THE film of the year. I cant lie and say that it thrilled me all the way through and found myself verging on bored, all be it for not very long, in the middle of the film. It may be the relentless misery that causes this lull in interest but I cant help feeling there is a little flaw in the flow of the story. Do not get me wrong I liked this film very much but I have seen pretty much all of the other nominees for best film and I have to be honest and say that, purely as films, I liked them more. That being said it has been a particularly stellar year for films and I may not have said this a year ago or even Oscar time next year. Very good film and well worth your time.

Verdict: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment