Saturday 15 June 2013

Film review: A Good Day To Die Hard

Bruce Willis is back to fight crime and kick some guys in the ass. This time he is off to Russia to see his son who is working out there for the CIA. He is now bezzies with his daughter seeing as in the 4th film he saves the crap out of her but bestest son still hates him. McClane Junior is protecting this Russian guy who had something to do with plutonium from another Russian guy who also had something to do with plutonium. Herein starts the drive a bit, shoot a bit, clever line, blow stuff up method of storytelling we all know and love. During this all Bruce and Bruce Junior bond through the medium of wanton destruction but hey they're only messing up Russia so who in all honesty cares.

Like most of the world I am a huge, huge fan of the Die Hard films. The first two are two of the best action films not just of their time but ever, the third is not far off and whilst some didn't I enjoyed the fourth. Safe to say then that I was looking forward to the fifth instalment and yes I wasn't expecting an amazing film but I was expecting an enjoyable romp that would keep me entertained throughout. Unfortunately Die Hard 5 just didn't live up to my expectations. It is not a bad film it is just a nothing film which in some respects is worse. The storyline is a bit rubbish and Bruces relationship with his son is an exact replica of his relationship with his daughter in the 4th film right down to calling him John instead of dad until realising he is not bad as a dad and calling him as such. It pains me to say but I was bored throughout pretty much the entire film and sadly so it seems was Bruce. He put his foot on the clutch and cruised in neutral and frankly looked like he didn't want to be there. This in itself is odd and as a Bruce Willis fan a little disappointing. Overall I can't say I hated this film but I also can't say I liked it, I nothinged it.

Verdict: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment