Sunday 23 June 2013

Film review: Alex Cross

Some guy is a really good cop despite looking like he may have taken a few too many detours to the local donut shop. He is a doctor of something or other but instead hangs around with overactors in order to catch all the crims. He has a lovely family and a happy life until Matthew Fox turns up and starts killing the odd person. The guy and his mates then try to stop Matthew before he kills any more people and Matthew doesn't take too kindly to this and starts killing people the guy likes. Once this happens Dr Cox, who runs the police, starts shouting and making awful decisions but don't worry the main guy seemingly has precognitive powers and will save you all from your apparent incompetence.

This film is an adaptation of a book by James Patterson. I can't say I have ever read the book in question and after this film then I can't say I ever will. My first clue that this film was shite was the fact, as far as I can tell, it skipped out the cinemas and headed straight for DVD town, never a good sign. Despite this love film sent me the dvd anyway so open it up I did and in the dvd player it went. The acting is beyond shocking with even Matthew failing to hold his head above water. The main actor is dreadful and is not believable as a top flight cop and psychologist. Dr Cox is just Dr Cox in a police uniform and even Jean Reno turns up, after having eaten a few pies since the last time we saw him, to rub salt in the wound of his career. Then comes the dialogue which is cliched up to its eyeballs with gems such as 'I'm just here to catch bad guys'. This rubbish may work in books, which I doubt by the way, but it does not in films. The story itself is dull to say the least and not even an interesting and original concept. As I say I haven't read any James Patterson books but if this is the standard of the storytelling then I doubt I ever will. I don't know who was reading this and thought 'O my god this would make an amazing film' because whoever you are I may come slap you. I did not enjoy this film.

Verdict: 0.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment