Wednesday 5 November 2014

Rush


Chris Hemsworth likes to drive fast cars and sleep with lots and lots, and I mean LOTS, of women. He is pretty good at all these things until Daniel Bruhl rocks up and starts driving better than him, doesn't do the women thing better though. They then start to compete intensely and both end up in the mighty formula 1. They continue to drive around a bit winning things here and there and getting married, not to each other, and one of them possibly could have some kind of very serious accident. I wont say much more other than it is all completely true.

This is the true story of the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda in formula 1 racing. Now I am a formula 1 fan but alas I was not alive when this occured, 1970s, and am far too lazy to read up on it, my mum assures me it was a very exciting time for racing although she was too young herself at the time to be really hooked. Suffice to say then that I started watching this with an immense amount of good will. Chris Hemsworth is fast becoming a good actor and not just a pretty face and Ron Howard is a very good director (forgetting the Dan Brown adaptations). Chris is indeed very good as James Hunt but it is completely the Daniel Bruhl show who is outstanding as Niki Lauda. You forget very quickly that he is an actor and believe that you are actually watching Niki's younger days, to a certain extent Chris does the same for James Hunt but is outshone somewhat. The story itself is very interesting and I did enjoy finding out what happened between the two of them. The action is shot beautifully with the race sequences making you feel every single apex and hairpin turn.
Unfortunately I do have some, well one reservation. The pace of the first half as it rattles through events was a little too fast for my liking, maybe this was because I did not know the history behind the story but I would have liked a little more explanation. I did however enjoy the film but wasn't blown away by it, shame really. Lastly then I am happy to tell you all that Sara did indeed say yes and we are now happily engaged (I left this bit until the end so that you would actually read the review, sneaky right???)

Verdict: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment