Thursday 18 July 2013

Film review: Despicable Me 2

Steve Carrell is an ex evil dude who is now nice due to three small kids he adopted. He now makes jam alongside his scientist friend and a small army of yellow tic tacs with limbs. Kristen Wiig then shows up in order to kidnap Steve and convince him to join the good guys to root out some bad bad people who stole a science lab with a magnet. Steve decides that this sounds sensible and proceeds to do just that whilst the tic tacs channel their inner Laurel and Hardy and slapstick the crap out of the film.

The first despicable me came as a complete surprise to me. When I watched it for the first time I thought 'this can't be good as its not pixar' and dismissed it completely out of hand. To my surprise it was funny, heart warming and a genuinely good film. Understandably then I was looking forward to the second instalment and thankfully I was more than satisfied with the result. It is a hilarious film and stands up to most of the adult comedies on offer. The main character Gru is loveable and funny but the comedy awards need to go to the minions who are probably the best kids film characters in a long time. The slapstick comedy works completely and I would happily watch them potter about for 2 hours hitting each other and spouting their made up gobbledee goop. That isn't to say the rest of the film isn't good because it is both cleverly written and well voiced by all concerned. The only flaw is Kristen Wiigs character whom I found to be a tad annoying in spots but hey who cares when every other character in the film is brilliant, especially the chicken.
Loved it.

Verdict: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment